Friday, August 31, 2012

Trip 2 - Day 4-10 hr flight+JFK=Nightmare

I booked Delta/Aeroflot to Moscow (SVO) this trip (same as my first trip).  I left Detroit with a 5 hour layover in JFK.  No problem, I hung out with the other family that was traveling with my agency.  We had an awesome chat and I left them as they were on the Delta flight.  i would have gone Delta but with the last minute ticket purchase the fare went much higher than their Aeroflot partner.  So I left to Terminal 1 by foot... yes folks it is faster to go from Terminal 2 to terminal 1 and vice versa BY FOOT.  Remember this... it is important later.

So I arrived to Aeroflot's complete disorganized mess of a check in process (they have to reprint your boarding pass)... went thru security and sat at the gate for a good long time... the flight was great... the guy who was sitting next to me... his in-seat entertainment unit didn't work so he asked to move.... wa-la, SPACE!  Mind you the Russian airplane does not have the same amount of room that American plans do... they cram more people in theirs. Once over the ocean I took a good long power nap, after my 2 hours of sleep that night, it was a great flight and we arrived without a hitch.  After grabbing my luggage, I met the driver and I was off to see my sweet boy.

Now on the return it goes a little differently.  On the way back to the airport... it was again rainy and dreary.  But it mirrored how I was feeling...  I sat in my seat next to a nice guy who actually spoke English, I proceeded to doze for about 45 minutes or so even though I slept only 2 hours that night too.... but that was my fault because I took a nap in the afternoon.  We arrived to JFK right on time... yay for connection time.  I would have time to walk around and get my blood flowing again.  We taxied for 15 minutes; I joked and said I feel like we are driving here from Moscow.  Russian announcement and BAM, you will be sitting on the ramp for about 15 minutes.  Darn it!  I so want to get up...  I have been sitting for 10 hours in a very small space where my knees touch the back of the seat in front of me.  15 minutes passed and a second announcement... we are going to move; however, we will be moving to a holding position to wait an additional 30 minutes...  then another 15 minutes... our wheels hit pavement at 4:35 PM and it was now 6:00 pm.  We moved and pulled to the gate....  I moved like a girl on fire...  I just wanted to be able to hug and kiss my sweet Elina and Connor.  I jogged to Immigration, hit the restroom (because I knew bags would take a minute to roll in)... grabbed my bag and cleared Customs... next baggage re-check for Aeroflot.  It is 6:18 pm, my flight is at 7:05 pm from Terminal 2 and I am in Terminal 1.  The young guy behind the counter denies me my connection, says I won't make it...  I tell him I am familiar with the airport and that I will make it... he tells me to proceed to the Aeroflot ticket counter to be rebooked...  it is the last Delta flight of the evening to Detroit...  I do not want to be stuck in JFK.  I turn to him and say, "Fine don't check my bag...  I will take it with me and re-check it at Delta.”  I proceed out of Terminal 1 walk as fast as possible to Terminal 2 with a checked bag, carry-on bag, purse and backpack... walk in the door and only see stairs and not the elevator and escalator (I don't feel I had time to find it)...  I grab my bags and trudge up the stairs...  I am now a sweaty mess!  I see a Delta red Coat and ask him to connect my bag... he told me to go quickly thru the TSA Checkpoint...  I divest while the Officer checks my passport shoes off, lap top out, pockets empty and bam toss things into trays and I am thru and i am still in "moving mode"... I see the door open for the jetbridge and I am there breathless but standing there... melting... and I say can I still make my flight?  The gate supervisor looks at me and says, "Ma'am, we haven't even begun boarding yet.”  I wanted to fall the floor and laugh hysterically... like a lunatic.  Nice job Aeroflot!  JFK is such a mess, thank God Immigration and Customs was empty and that I had made that connection before so I knew where I needed to go!

1 comment:

  1. Been there done that with the "you won't make your flight" attitude from airline personnel. Argh, let me at least try, you jerk. Begging. And we, too, made our flight that time. They were just starting to board.

    ReplyDelete