Friday, August 31, 2012

Trip 2-Day 3-It's Official... It's a BOY!!

I am still jet lagged, though I managed a trip to the Shrine Circus with Mac and my kids last night.  How great to ride bumper cars, run thru the fun house and then go on the space ship ride... remind me not to do that again...  I got the centripetal force of that ride and the swirling of your head when the board crashes you back to Earth!  Yikes!  But what a great time for the kids… seeing the tigers, the elephant, the roller skating act, the Russian swing and the motorcycle acts… though Elina said her favorite was the dog and pony act.

So let me tell you about court...  The night before court I slept from about 1:30 am-5:00 am between nerves and jet lag it was hopeless.  "M" picked me up for court at 8:30am and we had a wonderful chat on the way to the courthouse.  We arrived just before the courthouse opened and went to sit the in the chairs outside the court.  I felt like crawling the walls which turned into pacing the floor a few times.  I am not usually a nervous Nelly but I was afraid things would get lost in translation.  That the judge wouldn't think that I was the right family for Owen.  A British family was scheduled before me and after about 30 minutes, they came out beaming from ear to ear…  They have a beautiful daughter.

I stood at the podium with my translator "S" and answered the judge’s questions.  One after another... odd that it was just a couple days ago and I don't remember all of the questions... It was then the Orphanage Director's turn and as she walked back to her bench she winked at me and I finally felt myself exhale for the first time that morning...  The municipality stated they also agreed with the adoption...  the Prosecutor elected to not challenge the adoption and was satisfied with my answers and the support of the Orphanage director and Municipality... and instead turned to me and smiled.  The judge left to deliberate in his chambers and return with a final decision...  I felt the whoosh of the blood in my veins, I could hear the beat of my heart, and it was as if it was all in slow motion.  He walked back in and read about a page in Russian... my heart leapt out of my chest when "S" turned to me and said, "He is your son, now just the 30 days for appeals.”  I was in awe…  I still am…  I have a beautiful baby with dimpled cheeks and a grin from ear to ear. 

I left the courthouse and took a short drive in Moscow traffic (an hour… ugh) to go to the baby home to see Owen.  As I walked into his group’s room, he beamed from ear to ear with recognition… I am so glad that I focused on him this trip and spent as much time as possible with him.  I know it cost a bit extra for the fees of the translator/driver, but if I can just get even a sliver of recognition when I pick him it will help so much with his transition.  I cannot wait to show you pictures but with the 30 day appeal process it cannot be until my pick up trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment