The social worker arrived on time just before 8am, just after I took out the trash (thank goodness) and before I made coffee (darn!)! She started by talking to Connor and Elina. The kids and I spoke about the visit earlier that morning. I told them why the social worker would be visiting and that this visit wasn't "all about Elina" (like all of the Post Placement Report visits from our other social worker) which Connor really liked. (Go figure!! LOL!! ) Well it was off and rolling, Elina wanted to show off her one piano lesson skills of the keyboard. Connor took it from there, giving a tour of our house and talking about why he has Disney Pixar's Cars decor in his room. I left the social worker to talk to the kids and made a cup of coffee to get thru the next 2 hours of Q&A.
I was not nervous of being a good parent, parenting style or even whether or not I would be approved to adopt again. My nerves were that I would be able to adopt "Danny" AND "Dante" as a single mom. I was stunned when at the end of the meeting she began telling me of cases where she did not approve people, or steered them away from International adoption, if she felt they were not prepared to deal with the consequences of residing in an institution/orphanage. (If you have not brought home a child from an institution/orphanage (or severe emotional neglect/abandonment) you CANNOT understand the fear, sadness, grieving, anger, and mixtures of these emotions. I worried that she would say something like though I think what you are doing is noble, I do not believe this is the best fit. Instead she said... she definitely approves me for 2! She said she sees that I have the energy to take the boys on. But the most profound, she said that she could sense that I am doing exactly what I am meant to do. And believe me that she was difficult in her questioning, though out the questioning I felt that I wasn't going to pass... but I kept telling myself to be confident and not worry and that if it is meant to be it will be. LOL... at one point I may have even said that the first year would be H-E-double hockey sticks.
Bottom line is that we will have to complete the contacts but based on her evaluations thus far, we are...
APPROVED FOR 2!!!
Yippppeeeeeeee! But can I just say, I'm glad I don't have your social worker;)!
ReplyDeleteawesome, congrats. Celeste
ReplyDeleteYay, yay, yay...apparently she sees what we all see in you! Congrats
ReplyDelete