Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Name Game

.

Ok, so I would like input... I am thinking about the boys' names.  First let me explain the parameters and then I would love if you all would make suggestions...

1. It has to be a name that is fitting for a little kid.
2. It has to sound strong for an adult.
3. It has to be a name that does not have obvious nicknames... there are a few exceptions, but I am just not a nickname girl.  As you can see by Connor and Elina. :)
4. The initials can not spell anything. (Remember last name is Villemure)
5. I don't want the boys' names to rhyme, but they can start with the same letter.
6. Make sure it is not a name that they can get made fun of...

I love that I made this post... so many great ideas coming in!  What I was meaning my nick names is for instance Robert-Bob, Bobby, Rob, Robbie etc. Though I do love the name Robert just not all the nicknames. Christopher is on my list... because it would be a name derived from my sisters.  Andrew is my brother in law so I think they have dibs on that name.

My 4 year old came home from school one day with a family tree with with names on the leaves... Mommy, Sister (because he calls her sister and not by her name), Connor, Matthew and Jacob.  When I asked him who Matthew and Jacob were (this was before I saw my boys and at that point would have not seen us adopting 2 nor had I really socialized it with my kids)... Duh mom, they are my brothers.  Crack me up!  I think he chose names of two of his buddies... because we do know a Matthew and a Jacob even if Connor doesn't see them much.

17 comments:

  1. My favorite boy names...
    Mason
    Micah
    Andrew
    Ryder
    Tyler
    Jameson
    Spencer
    Caleb
    ...
    just a few ideas to throw out there (;

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I see "Danny" I see Andrew James and when I see "Dante" I see Spencer Cole! Whatever names you choose ~ I know they will be perfect ~ praying your boys home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a sucker for names with meanings, always have.
    Some of my favourites are

    Aaron - mountain of strength
    Aiden - fire
    Alek - warrior
    Cedric - Kindly and loved
    Conrad - brave, bold ruler

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmm what about Cooper and Caleb.....or Michael and Matthew....but I guess those could have nicknames. Whatever you name them, they are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As Catholics we pick names of Saints and so usually we have a connection with their Saint's story or the virtues they had as saints. St. Linus was the 2nd Pope of the Church and St. Patrick converted all of Ireland. Both very strong members of the Church.

    Right now on our boys name list (for when ever that might happen again!) is Anthony (St. Anthony has a wonderful story!) and I've always liked Martin as well. But I think you will just have to pick what fits your family best! I like Andrew James... a good strong name!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am partial to Reed of course. Milo, Bram and Owen are my nephews' name. Max, Jack, Leo, Theo, Jonah, Jonas, Finn, Jude, Alden, Luke, Eli. I think most of those fit your criteria.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dawson and Grant. Super cute boys btw!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like Ian and Cole(short and sweet...NO nicknames!)..oh, and Levi...or Cade....okay, done.:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What about Adam? My oldest is named Adam and he is one of few people that likes their name. And no nicknames. Also Adrian.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love names! Here are a few:
    Kevin and Kyle
    Mason, Malachi, Mark
    Derrick and Dylan
    Eric and Elijah
    Jayson, Julian, Jeremy, Josiah, Jayden
    Craig, Carter, Caden,
    Beau, Brian, Benton
    I have to stop.... I could go on all nite.... lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. In the photo of Danny wearing the blue button shirt, I can't tell you how much like my son he looks like. My son's name is Joseph Charles and EVERYONE calls him Joseph because we have insisted on no nicknames. Even his little friends call him Joseph.
    Dante looks like a Thomas to me. I think I just broke your rules #3 and #4.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A few suggestions of names that may fit your criteria:
    Chase
    Logan
    Troy
    Reed
    Aidan
    Max

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok- I will go out on a limb with the non-matchies just based on what I feel...for Dante I really like Trevor (no nickname!)and for Danny how about Ryan (my first crush in kindergarten was a blonde haired boy named Ryan (o: ). Classic names that are not in all the classrooms right now (at least from the ones I have observed).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just curious - we are not adopting (for a variety of reasons), but do read the Reece's Rainbow page a lot, and it seems that almost everyone gives their adoptive children new names. Why is that? I can understand in the case of an infant or a child that doesn't know their own name, or maybe the concept of a new name for a new life, but it also seems a bit odd to me in the case of a child that knows & responds to their own name. My neighbors adopted a little girl from China (now a teenager), and kept her her name even though it is extremely Chinese, because she was a toddler & already knew it.
    I'm not trying to comment on what anyone is doing with names, just wondering what the reason is that almost all the Reece's Rainbow adoptive families seems to re-name their children. If you could explain the thought process I would appreciate it - something I have been wondering about for a while. Thanks!

    This an anonymous comment not because I don't want to show my name, but for some reason it won't accept my livejournal ID. Siggy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sure, it is actually not a complicated answer. Reece's Rainbow renames the children with Americanized names to protect their identities. For instance Danny and Dante are not my boys' names. The daughter I adopted from Bulgaria kept her name. In the case of my baby boys, one is the same name as one of my nuclear family and one has a feminine name in translation. I am actually a supporter of keeping their birth names, unfortunately... in this case I really cannot keep their first names... though I will probably incorporate their names into their legal name as their middle name.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the name Adam too. I know 2 Adams who love their name. Luke is a nice (non-nickname) name as well, with a strong meaning. We love name meanings in our house. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree with the nicknames Yvonne...I don't like them either, that is why my boys have the names they do! I like Mason, Max, Marshall, Carter, Camden, Brandon, Braeden. Good Luck & I can't wait to hear more about your journey!!

    ReplyDelete