.... sometimes it can bring an Owen Matthew!
I have visited and committed to a beautiful baby boy. I will share pictures and details after our court date... right now I am just a smitten and overjoyed Mama.
These are the fun details that I can share:
1. Owen, which means "little warrior", was chosen by my son Connor.
2. Matthew, which means "Gift from God", was chosen by Elina.
3. I allowed my children to choose their little brother's name.
4. I chose the order of the names, because I love strong first names without nicknames. I chose Owen to be his first name.
5. I keep thinking how his name completely fits him… he IS Momma’s little warrior... he IS for sure a Gift from God.
6. Owen is a happy, healthy, and beautiful boy.
7. He is chunky and as the nutritionist stated, while showing her muscles to emphasize, "I make them strong."
8. Owen is crawling, walking holding my fingers, pulling himself up on the couch, loves banging objects together and likes how they make different sounds. Time to baby proof the house!
9. Everything is in his mouth constantly... and he is actively teething.
10. Owen only whimpered once in my presence which was when the translator (a man) picked him up.
Here is the thing… I gave up on my dream because I was so frustrated. I put it into God’s hands… I just didn’t have the energy to keep looking for my child. Many of you know I had committed to two beautiful boys with HIV on Reece’s Rainbow. Within a few days of paying my large application fee to the agency and being told I would be a wonderful candidate to adopt both boys and they were in the same baby home, etc. I was told just a day after my fees posted to my bank that I would probably only be able to adopt one boy but they would "try" for both. I felt duped and very stuck... see application fees for one was $1,500 and for two is $3,000. After that blow I discovered there was an internal process of waiting in line to be submitted… only every two weeks was the agency allowed to submit two families and that I would be submitted in position 6 or 7 which is an additional 6-8 weeks of wasted time. Talk about disheartened and frustrated… but I trudged on. I attempted to educate the people around me about the virus and it broke my heart that so many did not trust the research or me. So, it felt like my life became this battlefield… and I walked on. Well, I completed my paperwork and sent it in with my check for the next round of fees for BOTH boys in late January only to find out that while in transit to the agency the boy’s region “interrupted”; therefore, travel and court dates would not be issued until the treaty was ratified. It was speculated to be a month to 6 weeks, but that turned into “possibly May”, and a conversation that said, “We don’t know, maybe not until September.” I began calculating probabilities.
When would they be home? Could I swing adoption fees if I didn’t complete the adoption before the end of the year when the Adoption Tax Credit expires? Then there is the vision of the child(ren) that I felt would best suit my family… the boys were 24 months and 21 months when I committed. Today they are 34 months and 31 months. So even if I were invited to travel today… they would not be home until long after they both turn 3, maybe even closer to 4 because of how backlogged the region will be. The question then became how long could I wait. I said I would give it 5-6 months to reopen. The battle drum beat wore on and wore me out… During the wait, I felt HIV had become their scarlet letter. HIV is NOT contagious, that is unless you are completely irresponsible with bodily fluids! I will be haunted by Danny’s eyes forever… those sad blue eyes and that puffy bottom lip. I will forever think of sweet Valery’s rosebud mouth and chubby cheeks. Giving up was the hardest decision I have ever made. If you know me, you know that is true… I am stubborn and determined, but I have my reasons for letting go and I believe them to be in their best interests. It hurt and it continues to hurt even after seeing sweet Owen’s face.
Once I decided I would let go, I felt I was grieving their loss and though I had spoke with the agency coordinator about their other regions, I was not ready to jump into another region with the same agency… I told them I needed time. The
next day they offered me a beautiful baby girl in one of their other regions. To me, she appeared to be a SN child due to psychological issues of the birthmother… because heredity is a huge factor for the diagnosis.
I asked what the special needs fees were and was promptly told this was a “healthy child”. I stewed on it for a few days and then addressed it and vented my frustrations (mind you this was while I was away from home for work and I was missing Elina and Connor not a good combination).
I was then offered another child… this time a little boy with a hole in his heart that would more than likely need surgery once home. Again, I asked what the SN fees would be and I was told he was “healthy.” I was frustrated, aggravated and still grieving the loss of the boys… but to continue being offered referrals of children that on the outside looked beautiful and healthy but were not on the inside, and the agency knew I was hoping for a child with minor correctable SN and the SN fees planning… I have still not addressed this with the agency.
So, because of my frustrations, I began to give up on my dream of a R*ssia adoption and began to rethink Bulgaria. Recently I began volunteering to advocate for and to update SN children for Elina’s adoption agency so was familiar with the children with SN. I fell in love with Bulgaria during Elina’s adoption, but to be honest I felt that the wait would be longer than I could afford because of the tax credit and it would create a gap much larger than I would want between Connor and the child, plus I knew I wanted to enjoy the baby/toddler stage again. So I kept looking at R*ssia, domestic adoption, adoption of a child thru foster care, I kept opening doors… I decided to consider domestic adoption and actually was quickly chosen by a birth-mom in Alabama. I felt great, the birth-mom seemed a perfect fit but after a few weeks of attempting to get a firm fee schedule and nailing things down…
I felt that something wasn’t quite right. I really began to dig and research the facilitator, her reputation was 50/50, people either sang praises or hated her vehemently… it is the later I began to get concerned with… and then I began to witness the behavior traits that people were describing to me. Constantly pushing about money, rude, greedy…
Honestly, I feared her upfront payment. So BAM, she decided that she didn’t want to work with me because I had asked her if I could do a payment plan from June-September… so there I was again blowing in the wind…
I was so upset, so I looked began to think about foster to adopt because there are very few costs associated. However, the baggage that some/most kids carry is phenomenal… for them it isn’t just being an orphan… it is not just about getting enough food, it is severe abuse, neglect, etc… they come with anger, most times traumatized, hurting… I struggled with the decision, but I began inquiring in June about children… from here to Texas to Oregon and Ohio. I looked for one or two children under the age of 5. Mind you there is not a central database… there is no easy way to FIND available children. Then you send e-mails and wait… and wait… and hope that someone will read it… and even let you know if they considered you. The shocking thing is that the US adoption system is so hard to find children (I will address in a post later). After 30 inquiries and very few call backs, I was discouraged…. I emailed my homestudy agency to update them on where I was at with things. That a social worker or two or three would be contacting them based on my inquiries.
In mid/late June there was a sibling set in Michigan I found thru MARE and inquired on.
I thought they could be a wonderful fit… she was 6 and he was 4… no baby stage but they were younger and healthy which is so difficult to find in the US.
So a few days after inquiring I let L* (the director of my Homestudy agency) know about the inquiry.
L*’s agency also has a R*ssian program and before finding the boys I had intended to use her agency for my adoption, but then fell in love with the boys and the rest is the history described above.
So I let her know about the inquiry and that she would hopefully be hearing from social workers. In the meantime I planted a seed that I was open to children with SN and if there was a special child with or without special needs to let me know.
Later L* called me and asked if I would be interested in a baby boy…. He was healthy but it would be blind travel. Blind travel means no pictures, no medical… just stand on a ledge and jump… and trust your agency and their team. I decided it was now or never… that if I did not jump… that I was done. So I jumped off the ledge on June 29
th and I met the most amazing and wonderful little boy. I cannot wait to share pictures. I cannot and will not share until I have picked him up out of his orphanage and he is fully and legally mine.
I am working hard to bring together the funds to bring Owen home. Because Mr. Owen is not a Special Needs what I estimated to complete this adoption is a little short. I am working on a puzzle fundraiser and I will continue it in order to bring Owen home! Won’t you be a piece of the puzzle?
BTW, I will be having a garage sale and organizing a few more fundraisers… so stay tuned.